Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Greetings from the News-desk, waz-style.

So lots happening this week! But first a moment to try and wipe from memory the terrible nightmares I had last night, courtesy of ms purple going where no man of sane mind should ever go!!!! (click here to read the post, if you dare).

This weekend I head off to jolly old London to visit one of my best friends, for, and hold your breath:

- her 21st
- her sisters 18th
- her dads 50th
- her parents 25th anniversary

Phew. I would investigate the dates akin to Ms Purples lines of thought, but I am still too traumatized. :-)

Anyways, Sony announced that they would be postponing their European launch of the Playstation 3 by another 4 months to March 2007!! I mean, what??!!? They are gifting the console wars to Microsoft in a nice giftwrap. I think we are starting to see the beginning of the end of the Playstation dominance in our living rooms. Xbox Live itself is something Sony will never be able to beat, so large and extensive is the former already. I think we are seeing the nail being hit into the coffin, and hit hard.

Anyways, a news round up coming up. The world has been incredibly interesting this last week (or maybe my life has just been that boring!)

Andre Agassi lost after losing to Benjamin Becker in the US Open. It was a great match from the former number 1, and he played some incredible shots to show why he has lasted so long. Alas, his back was unable to keep him company. Watching him retire, in a way, reminded me of how old I am slowly but surely getting. I used to be a big Sampras fan (still am), and I remember those heady days watching Sampras vs Agassi finals – thrilling contests. So passes yet another milestone in my life. Wow.

Also this week Steve Irvin died. That’s a shame, because he really was the ultimate Wizard of Oz. However, curiously, a debate has been stirred up – should the footage showing his final moments and death be aired? Some argue yes, stating the educational value. However, I am firmly opposed to it. Why do we wish to treat death so flippantly? No matter how public his life may have been, its still weird to want to watch something as intimate as his final moments. The BBC has a great article on this, where 2 medical ethicists debate it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5326802.stm

Politically, the worlds a mess, just read the BBC to get an idea. I wont go into details here because that’s just way too serious, and I am more happy-go-lucky. However do make sure to check out the Middle East conflict – Israel is clearing its blockade and I think we might be on the verge of peace again. Finally.

Though one significant zany political event this week was the birth of the Japanese male heir to the Royal family. It’s a significant step because it now gives the royals a clear cut heir to the throne. You see, Japanese law does not allow females to inherit the throne – which seems a little bit archaic don’t you think in todays world? :-)

Right, I think I should so something productive as the lunch break is up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?